Monday, August 6, 2007

NG Tube Woes!!!

Ok, here is the story on the title. One of the requirements of the parents is to be proficient in every aspect of the NG tube feedings. Checking placement in his belly is a snap, (although Amy finds it really hard to hear the "swoosh"). Hooking up the tube is a breeze. Figuring out the feeding pump should be no trouble at all. Well...with NG tube feedings, the tube has to get into his belly somehow, and the current tube has to come out as well before that can happen.

Soooo...to make a long story short; I was to pull the current tube out and put a new one in. Sounds simple right? Well, if you are in the medical industry, it is easy. Considering that the last time I had medical training was over 10 years ago in the Army, and Amy, well, never; this turned out to be quit an ordeal.

I found that I handled it pretty well. Just like riding a bike. Amy, on the other hand, found it to be fairly traumatic to watch. We were like, "No biggie, I (Luke) can just handle this stuff at home." Then the nurse says, "Um...each of you has to do it three times before they can let him go home." THREE times!! THREE TIMES!!!

Ok, Ok, Ok...I made that out to be a little more dramatic than it really happened, but Amy was really tore up about it. After some pep talks and LOTS of convincing that it is not hurting him, I think that she is going to give it the ole' college try today. Granted, I am writing this before she has attempted anything, but the nurse told me that she is going to be right here with her, step by step to help her.

I think that Amy will do fine. She said that she might cry the entire time, but she is going to do it. She also realizes that we will never get home if we can't do this stuff on our own.

Moving on...Maddox is still doing great. However, there is no more other news at this point other than the NG tube dilemma.

Please pray for Amy to be able to come through the NG tube proficiency tests fine. We will post more news as we talk to the Doctor, or when Amy finishes with her test.


Your Friends,
Amy, Luke, and Maddox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are praying and checking the blog everyday for updates! We know this is hard for both of you But you will both be fine and hopefully be home soon!
We love you both and little man, too!
Travis & Peggy