Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Day 2(ish) at Duke - 6 pm

Salutations,

Maddie has had a fairly uneventful day, which we consider as good.

The main focus of the day is his upcoming catheterization. We were given the whole spill about what to expect, what was going to happen, etc.

We just spoke with the Doctor who is the catheterization specialist. He drew us an excellent diagram of what they think they will see after the tests. Basically, if there is no obstructions in any of the veins and if they do not find any surprises that they did not see from the echo's, surgery will most likely be postponed.

The reason for a possible postponement is to let him put on some weight because that increases the success rate for surgeries like this. It also could help prevent possible 2nd or 3rd surgeries down the road.

Amy and feel that if he has to wait a few more weeks to pack on some pounds, then we will be OK with it. We wish we could get it over with, but we also want what is best for him.

As of right now, this is all still speculation. There will be nothing definite until the doctor's see the cath results, put their heads together, and make the decision for his surgery.

With that said, we are going to still plan for the surgery Friday, but will remain flexible.

He is the first cath case in the morning. He should be done around 9 to 10 am. We will post something when he comes out to let everyone know how he is doing.

We hope all of you have a good evening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, Luke, Maddie,
I finally found your blog! I am
not very computer literate. My prayers are with you all. Maddie is
so precious! God Bless and keep you!
!
Love you all, Aunt Gay

prayingdaughter said...

Praying that the doctors will make the best possible decisions as they view this test. Marilyn